If you want to publish a cover version of an original recording, you have to follow these guidelines:
- You have to enter all copyright owners of the original with full names (composer, songwriter and publisher).
- You can’t use the original artist name. The title must not include “originally performed by”, “in the style of”, “tribute to” or “cover of”. The original artist can’t be mentioned or displayed on the cover picture.
- You can’t change the song title of the original.
- During the upload you have to enter “Cover Version” in the version field.
- You can’t use the original recordings or parts of it. To do so, you need a written permission from the label.
- You can’t change the original lyrics or composition. To do so, you need a written permission from the copyright owners.
- Cover versions can’t sound exactly like the original, because such “soundalike” versions will be rejected by the shops.
- If you can’t obtain the rights from a collecting society, you have to get a written permission from the copyright owners or publisher.
Cover versions are often legally problematic. We recommend to always get written permissions from the copyright owners or to consult a lawyer.
We can’t guarantee that cover version will be accepted by the shops. Some shops reject cover versions, if there are already too many versions of the same song.